What is a coffee shop ?
The following definition comes from an article extracted from Wikipedia, an online encyclopaedia which can be found at the following address :
A cannabis coffeeshop is a place where the sale of cannabis and hashish for personal consumption by the public is tolerated by the local authorities (in Dutch called gedoogbeleid). They are most commonly found in the Netherlands.
Coffee shop rules :
• You must be at least 18 years old before you can go in and you cannot (or rarely) consume alcohol.
• Hard drugs are strictly prohibited in the coffee shops.
• The owner cannot incite the public (via publicity) to use cannabis.
• The owner must make sure that there is no disturbance in the neighbourhood.
• A maximum of 5g per client must be respected.
• The owner cannot have more than 500g of stock.
The supply of cannabis to the coffee shops is illegal but tolerated because of the role these places play in the drug policy in force in the Netherlands.